Tuesday, May 9, 2017

First Fun in Canada

Friday morning found me rolling north through Idaho, headed for the semi-dreaded border crossing into Canada at Eastport. I arrived in the late afternoon, drove right up to the customs booth, answered about 15 questions (most of the answers were “no”, but if I tell you which ones, that’d be cheating!) and was waved through into the great white North. That’s it? Hey, I can do this! So now it’s late in the day, and I’m looking for a place to roost for the night. There are a number of provincial parks along the road between the Border, and Cranbrook, where I plan to stop and refuel/restock. Unfortunately, many aren’t open yet. I don’t see any good boondock spots along the way and have almost resigned myself to a night at the Cranbrook Walmart, when I see a sign for Jimsmith Lake, and there’s a campground icon on it. OK, let’s try it! About 6 KM down a windy road, and I find the park, and the campground is closed.. dang! I pulled off in a wide spot on the road and consulted the Mapping Gods (the GPS) for a better idea. Right about then, a storm which had been building on the horizon broke right overhead, and I was treated to wind, hail, thunder, and heavy rain. OK, I can take a hint; I’m parking right here for the night! After the rain stopped, I took a pic for posterity.
image
The next morning, I headed into Cranbrook for a Walmart fix, and I got my first chance at a Canadian Tire store, which is Canada’s everything superstore. Better than wally world, it’s a sporting goods, tractor supply, walmart, and Kroger all combined under one roof. Also hit a bank for funny money, and hit the Visitor Center for lots of free goodies. OK, I feel the love, let’s head somewhere!
Somewhere turned out to be Kootenay Nat. park, right next to the town of Radium Hot Springs. On the way into the park, I drove through a big herd of Rocky Mountain Bighorn sheep, all just lounging along the road… There’s a huge herd that calls the park home, and you see them everywhere! In town, in the campground, on the roads.
image
This is a huge park, and almost deserted, in fact, I have a whole campground loop to myself! No hookups, but water, dump station, and really nice (and HOT) free showers.
image   image
Some scenery from the area.
image   image   image  
Radium Springs is a nice little town, and just up the road is the hot springs. A great place for a soak, perhaps a bit upscale for me, but there’s a big hot pool, dressing rooms, and all the amenities. I spend a couple afternoons soaking it up. Literally.
image  image image   image
I stopped by the Visitor’s Center in town, and they tell me all roads up into and thru Banf and Jasper are open, so I’m heading up tomorrow. The drive up 93 promises to be spectacular, and I can’t wait to see a couple of the most famous Canadian national parks. Next post when I find some internet…

1 comment:

Hi Folks

Internet access is spotty at best, so please be patient if you email me, or want a response. Thanks!