Friday, May 19, 2017

A Quest for Perfect Buns.

Rolling north from Prophet river, no real destination in sight, I just let the road pass by in the windshield. I know you’re probably getting tired of road pix, but if you’ve been paying attention, you may notice (as I did) that the road is slowly starting to feel like I’m really getting into the wilds a bit.

IMG_8646   IMG_8683

I’m starting to see some bears along the road, they love dandelions and fresh grass.

IMG_8639   IMG_8642

I stopped for a couple nights at Tetsa River provincial park. When I arrived, almost every site was marked “reserved” which is pretty unusual in my experience, especially for a park so far out in the boonies. My confusion all cleared up when I asked a camper, and they said “ oh, that’s that there Victoria Day weekend, eh?” Oh, no! I’ve been inserted into some sort of Canadian holiday weekend time warp! Thankfully, the park seta a couple sites aside that can’t be reserved, and I grabbed one, actually, I think it’s the best site in the park!

IMG_8657   IMG_8659

Obviously, a river runs through it, and here are some pix.

IMG_8652   IMG_8650

A very pleasant stay, and I rolled out just as the long weekend crowds started to arrive. My next stop is Muncho Lake, but along the way is, well, The cinnamon bun center of the galactic cluster. I’m not making that up, the sign clearly says it!

IMG_8676   IMG_8662

Yes! I stopped here in 2014 for a birthday bun, and if you recall, I bought a fresh hot bun and started down the road with it, intending to eat it “later”. However, the delicious odor forced me to pull over and wolf it down. I’m capable of learning: this time, I got a bun and a cuppa joe and ate it right now!

IMG_8664   IMG_8665

If there’s a better bun in the galactic cluster, I ain’t found it yet! In fact, it was so good, that I got one for the road, and an “I love buns” sticker. LOL

IMG_8674

Tetsa River Lodge is a typical Alaskan highway roadhouse, it’s a motel, store, gas station, restaurant, RV park and junkyard all rolled into one. When the road first opened up to tourist travel in the late 40’s , these roadhouses were all the traveler had to survive the trip. I love the sign on the diesel pump, which is priced at $1.59 a liter (that’s right at $6 a gallon!). Hey, if you want gas in the middle of nowhere…..

IMG_8667   IMG_8672IMG_8670   IMG_8669

And yes, in my opinion, their buns are “perfect”, and the best to be found anywhere in Canada or Alaska!

1 comment:

Hi Folks

Internet access is spotty at best, so please be patient if you email me, or want a response. Thanks!