Monday, May 26, 2014

Muncho Lake

Heading north, the next sizeable town is Fort Nelson. A good fuel stop, and there is a neat museum that has a collection of some of the original road building equipment from the original Alaska Highway construction.

Our next planned gathering spot will be Liard Hot Springs, but it’s a fair piece up the road, so everyone was on their own for a night: stop wherever you like… loosey-goosey. The drive was much more scenic today… we are in the Canadian Rockies now, and are seeing snow capped peaks and lakes with some ice still on them.

24   2728

Along the way, I started seeing many humorous signs proclaiming the worlds best cinnamon roll, just ahead. OK, I’ll bite. I stopped at a quaint little roadside shop and acquired a spectacular cinnamon roll indeed, piping hot and super gooey.

25

My plan was to save it for dessert, so I tossed it in the sink for safekeeping and started down the road. I made it exactly 3 miles before the powerful scent of cinnamon bun overpowered my resolution. I mean, I was wiping drool off my chin after about a mile and a half! Pulled off the road and dove into it… man, that’s some good bun! Best Birthday cake I’ve ever had! Oh, yeah, today’s my birthday… #57. Happy B-day to me!

37   26  

I landed, along with some of the group, at a provincial park right on the shores of Muncho Lake. Beautiful sites, right on the edge of the water. Wow what a view! That’s Jim and Kim, posing as Alaska travellers.

32   33

34   35

This is indeed what I came for… awesome scenery, great companionship, and the trip of a lifetime. So far, I have not been disappointed and we’re just getting started! So long from the shore of Muncho lake, somewhere in British Columbia…. next stop is Liard Hot Springs!

36

1 comment:

  1. We loved Muncho Lake. Diane and I saw it on our trip to Alaska in 2006 and again when we went part way up the Alcan with Norm and Linda in 2008. On that trip we pulled off the road onto a big pulloff and boondocked. Some of the scenery is breathtaking.

    ReplyDelete

Hi Folks

Internet access is spotty at best, so please be patient if you email me, or want a response. Thanks!