Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Miles and Miles… oops, I mean Kilometers

Actually missed the sunrise this morning… by a fair bit! Felt good! I was up by the crack of 8 and on the road at 9, headed for the semi-dreaded border crossing into Canada. Turns out it was easy and painless. I stopped at the kiosk and answered a buncha questions, apparently the agent was taking my declaration. In a rare display of total honesty, I told him exactly what I had on board, including all those bottles of mead. He directed me to park “over there” and said an officer would come talk to me.

Two very nice border agents came over, and proceeded to ask me if I had any guns 6 different times, with slightly different slant on the questions each time. I told them NO way did I have any guns with me, but they kept asking. I guess it’s my Texas license. Then they asked me about the mead. Well, I told them the story of mead, in four-part harmony, with elaborations on all of the various aspects of mead making, mead drinking, and mead history, until I saw their eyes glaze over… I figured I had them licked at that point. They did a very brief walk thru of the RV and sent me on my way before I could tell them any additional useful trivia about mead. They probably hope I won’t be coming back thru on my way out!

Driving in Canada is a lot like driving in the plains of the USA: Same flat horizon and endless road, just some minor changes. Road signs are in French and English, and different words are used for things, but nothing hard about it.

1   4

My GPS reflects the big difference: everything is measured in some kind of weird numbering system that doesn’t use rods to the hectare or fathoms to the peck like the system I’m used to… Everything is very orderly and based around ones and zeros. Sort of metric-like. I know my RV has never gone “97” before! Not even downhill!

5

The temperature thing is probably the most confusing. it was like 25 today, so I bundled up, put on my long johns, and damned if I didn’t sweat my buns off… I finally found a cool gif to help me figure it out.

temps

Drove about 500 miles today… that’s about 1.5 million kilometers, if I have that conversion thing down pat… I spent most of the drive doing metric conversions in my head. I did encounter a fellow refugee from Texas on the road, made me feel a lot less unique and lonely. Y’all haul, little buddy!

2   3

I finally landed in a nice little city park in Saskatchewan somewhere.. it’s quiet, 12 bucks a nite, Electric, water and dump… the good life. I have either 800 miles to go, or 29845629 Kilometers, to get to Dawson’s Creek. Looks like tomorrow is another day on the asphalt, and not much else. So long from Canada somewhere.

6

2 comments:

  1. I need that Celsius icon... I hate Celsius! why can't we all get along in fahrenheit?

    ReplyDelete
  2. For some odd reason one equation I remembered was C to F. It's °C x 9/5 + 32 = °F

    With all the travel I did in the 90s to Europe on business that equation came in handy to get a ballpark temp. Divide by 5 (easy), multiply by 9, add 32. Can be done quickly in your head. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Hi Folks

Internet access is spotty at best, so please be patient if you email me, or want a response. Thanks!