Friday, August 1, 2014

SalmonStock!

I’m rolling out from Homer when I get a text from Kim. She says there’s something going on in Ninilchik that I should scope out. Sure enough, the crowds are gathering for the SalmonStock music festival! Think “Woodstock” but, well, with more fish. OK, I’m not going to roll past this!

1   2

It’s a 3 day festival, with scads of local musicians, and it is just getting started today. I buy a day ticket and in I go. Wow, reminds me of Live Oak back in Cali, we used to go there every year. Live Oak music was bluegrass and alternative, and this is more, like, whatever, but the feel is the same. I am really early, and the crowds are not yet here, so I stroll around and scope out the place.

3   4

5   6

7

Can you see the perfect blue sky? What a great day for music! Lots of vendors and food booths.. Tie Dye! Can’t have a music festival without it! The artwork on the buildings and the stages is cosmic too!

8   9

10   11

The music starts, and there are 3 stages all going at the same time. The main stage’s first act is bluegrassy rock, and it feels just right. The crowds start to gather. They are followed by a reggae group doing intense 4 part harmonies and a dance beat. Yeah!

12   13

14   15 

Throughout the day, I wander from stage to stage and check out the music.

18   19

This guy is laying down some incredible blues, awesome guitarist, too.

24

Hey, it’s SalmonStock!

16   17

20

The last act I catch is really great! Spiff and Friends, laying down some great songs and getting the crowd going.

21   22

23   25

Man, I do not want to leave, but we have reservations for a cruise in Whittier tomorrow, and I just have to go. Sure glad I stopped though! Whittier is only a few hours away, but it’s after 6pm when I leave the festival, so I grab some gas and propane in Soldotna and keep on truckin’.

Coming down into Whittier, there are a lot of glaciers and eye candy.

The only way down to the town is through a one-lane tunnel. It is actually a railroad tunnel, and you have to time-share it with the train. We queue up and await our turn to pass through. OK, it’s like 9:30 now, I spent a full day getting SalmonStocked, so I’m not really sure what to expect, but what the Hell… I’m going through there!

32   33

Waiting for the tunnel to open…

34   35

36

OK, here we go!   

37   38

Driving the RV through was intense! The speed limit is 25, and you are riding on the rails down the center, and this tunnel just keeps going and going and going. It’s about 2.5 miles long, and it seems like I’ve been driving through it for a really long time! Wait! I see it! The light….

39   40

41

That was interesting!

Down the hill into Whittier… not a whole lot here. Big marina, railroad tracks, hotel…. let’s see… where is that RV park?

42   43

44

It is up a long rough gravel road, but I find it and get my butt settled in. Tomorrow, we are going glacier cruising out on the Prince William sound, but for now, I’m going to have a beer and wind down. What a trippy day! Fun, tho!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi Folks

Internet access is spotty at best, so please be patient if you email me, or want a response. Thanks!