Sunday, July 13, 2014

Hope

When we were fishing down in Ninilchik, one of the boat crew told me about Hope, and fishing for pinks on Resurrection Creek. Hey, I’m passing by there on my way down to Soldotna, so I decide to scope it out. But first, I stop for a night in Wasilla, because it’s a good place to get gas, food, and misc. I spend the night at Lake Lucille, because it’s quiet and inexpensive.

29   30

Walk down to the lake on their nice boardwalk and check out the lake homes, many with their own private floatplane! Now, that’s cool!

31   32

33

Had to pass through Anchorage again, but I timed it so I wouldn’t get caught in rush hour… sailed right through! As I started down the Seward highway, I was thrilled to see it was sunny! It is a pretty drive, the road hugs the cliffs and follows the water. You may remember that I promised you some pix of that very scenic drive if it wasn’t clouded in. Well, here you go!

To get to Hope, you take the Hope Cutoff, and the road winds along the coast, offering some really nice views!

65   66

You drive exactly 14 miles and stop. If you don’t stop, you wind up in the Turnagain Arm of the Cook Inlet, because the road has done ended. Looks like the ocean to me! There isn’t a lot in Hope, just a little village, a café and bar, and a small RV park right on the banks of Resurrection Creek. Perfect! just what I was hoping for. Notice dog in road… gotta have one of those for that small town atmosphere!

44   45

Interesting RVs wander in and out, really a rustic locale!

49   49a

I grab a spot and pay for a few nights. Here are some views from my site:

46   47

48

It doesn’t take long to tour the town on foot. This is most of it in a few pix.

A short walk across the RV park brings us to the creek, which is a great place to fish for Pink Salmon. As a complete novice, it gives me a chance to experiment and talk to other fishermen. I spend a few days doing just that. Pinks are fairly easy to catch, and I get one, then a couple, then 3 more over 3 easy days of fishing. I lose a lot more than I land, but it’s fun.

63   69

64

I’m surprised to find that I don’t have any pictures of the fishing! I guess I was just too focused to think about it. Oh, well, how about a nice sunset instead. It is actually starting to get dark at night again… this was taken around 11pm, and if you stay up till one, you’ll see almost darkness for an hour or so.

60   61

62

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi Folks

Internet access is spotty at best, so please be patient if you email me, or want a response. Thanks!