Saturday, June 14, 2014

Tok to Seward

Our little group rendezvoused in TOK. Some would stay a bit, but I was hearing the call of the fish, so I would not linger. I went to the post office to get my mail (Thanks, Teresa!), got my fishing license, rinsed the mud off my rig, and met the group at Fast Eddie’s for lunch. They are famous for their fried mushrooms, and I have to say the reputation is well earned! Check out these mountains of crispy fried shrooms! More than a meal, for sure: I couldn’t get through all of mine. They really were as good as they look!

1   2

3

Leaving Tok, I headed down the Glenn Highway. This road has some of the most spectacular scenery in the whole state. I never get tired of just looking out the window.

4   5

8   9

10

I have heard it jokingly stated that Alaska has 2 seasons: Winter, and Road Construction. I appear to be in the second season. This is a common sight everywhere I drive….

6

I also spend a fair amount of time following these guys… Overall, though, the roads have been better than I expected. You do have to watch out for the frost heaves, though. They provide a roller coaster ride that rearranges the dishes if you don’t slow down.

7   14

All along the Glenn are trail head parking areas. Some of these remind me of Quartzsite, with RVers dry camping in groups on large gravel parking areas. There are also so really nice spots, with lakes and rivers, really very nice for an overnight stop. I landed in one for an overnight stop. Free parking is good!

11   15

The following morning was rainy and cool, no surprise, really, as the weather tends to be a lot wetter as you head south towards the coast.

16   17

I stopped in Anchorage to re-stock and get fuel. It is a big city, with all of the less pleasant aspects of such: traffic, one-way streets, stoplights, and lots of folks. I may come back for a visit later, but for now, it’s just a brief stop, then on down the Seward Highway. Too bad it’s rainy, as the scenery is probably great, but most of it is shrouded in clouds. I take heart at the fact that I’ll pass this way again in a week or two, and hope it will be clear and sunny.

18

I arrived at the Bear Creek RV park and met up with Wallace and Wanda, Bennett and Bea. Bob and Molly, Mark and Dortha, and some of their group are also in town, we plan to do some fishing on Monday, but for now, I have a down day or two to work on getting the blog updated. Man, I really need to wash some clothes! I’ll be here for a few days… It’s kind of nice to stop and rest for a while!

19

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi Folks

Internet access is spotty at best, so please be patient if you email me, or want a response. Thanks!