Sunday, June 8, 2014

The Road to Dawson

The trip up from Skagway was uneventful. Yes, it is quite a hill, but nothing a typical RV can’t handle. The scenery makes the trip worthwhile, though. Crossing back into Canada was much less stressful this time, as I knew what to expect, so I breezed through the border crossing and returned to Carcross for another free night at the local campground there. The campground is right next to the air strip, and I took a few pix on a walk around the area.

10   11

12

As promised, I stopped at Emerald Lake on the way north to try to get some better pictures. it really is a pretty lake, and hopefully these shots will help you see what I saw.

1   2

3   4

Our little group of four rigs stopped just south of White Horse at the pioneer RV park. Jim, Kim and I took a short side trip to nearby Miles Canyon and hiked a short trail across a suspension bridge above the canyon. Used to be a mining town here, but it is long gone, like so many of the gold rush towns that boomed, then busted in just a few years.

6   7

8   9

Two of the group decided to stay another day, but I have no love of cities, and headed north, with just a stop to resupply the gas tank in White Horse. besides, I’ll be right back through here in the fall (no choice!) and can loiter then if I want to. Jim and Kim also headed north. This is pretty cool: the wind direction indicator at the White Horse airport is a full size airplane that actually does weathervane in the wind. I think that’s a DC-3. Not something you see every day!

13

Northbound now on the Klondike Highway, we are truly headed for Dawson City, and eventually the Top of the World, but first, a stop at Braeburn lodge for one of their colossal cinnabuns. May be the biggest in all the world! OK, I think I have had enough cinnabuns to last me a while. That sucker took days to eat!

14   15

16

An overnight stop in Carmax at the Coal Mine campground was undertaken solely on the report that they had the best hamburgers in the world there. I’m not to sure about it being the best, but it was quite good. Better was sitting beside the Yukon river and enjoying the view. It’s a rustic campground just right for a small RV.

17   18

Continuing on, here are some pix from the road, including a really BLUE bridge that I had to take a second look at. That was at Pelly’s Crossing, I believe. Just past the bridge, I came across this feller, looked like he was headed for Dawson City too… bet I get there first! And, as I get further north, the road is getting a little rougher… lots of frost heaves and gravel patches.

19   20

21   29

30

Jim, Kim and I stopped at Moose Creek, a nice provincial park out in the middle of nowhere in particular. These parks offer big secluded sites, free firewood, and the mosquitoes are also free. They aren’t REALLY bad yet, but they are definitely sorta bad… if that makes any sense. I’m learning to keep the dang door closed!

24

It was such a nice day, and an early stop, so I broke out the bike and rode some back roads (trails actually) and found some nice wildflower meadows. No bears or moose were spotted, though.

23   22

After a short hike down to the river and back to feed mosquitoes, we settled down with a campfire and did the s’mores thing. We tried to stay up till dark, but now sunset is well after midnight, so it ain’t easy. A passing thunderstorm put out the campfire, and so another day on the road closes. Tomorrow, we’ll be in Dawson City.

25   26

27   28

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi Folks

Internet access is spotty at best, so please be patient if you email me, or want a response. Thanks!