Tuesday, September 12, 2017

More Colors

Just a quick blog to bring you up to date. I’m parked in Tok right now, which means I’m on my way out of Alaska. *sob*! Hey, what a wonderful trip it’s been, and it ain’t over yet!

I’ve been wowed by the fall spectacle up here! I headed back to Cheena Hot Springs, north of Fairbanks for one more dip in the springs. The road out to Cheena was super bright with fall colors. On the way, I stopped off for a night at the lake and shooting range where Dennis, Carol, Sue, Jon and I camped back in July. It sure looks different now!

IMG_1379   IMG_1370

That night, the sky cleared, and I got my second look at the Northern Lights. It wasn’t a perfect night, in that the almost full moon came up and washed out the display, but I managed to snap a couple of pictures I’m not embarrassed by LOL

IMG_1390as   IMG_4909a

I’m starting to get the hang of this camera thing, but the 2 cameras I have with me aren’t the best for this sort of subject. That, and the aurora display was a pale imitation of the first experience. Still, gives you some idea of what it’s like…

The next day, I arrived at Cheena, and man, is it beautiful.

IMG_1464   IMG_1526IMG_1532

I take a hike on one of the nature trails, and get dazzled by the scenery! The fall in Alaska is mostly yellows and oranges, with just a bit of red thrown in. While it may not impress folks from Vermont, for this Californian transplanted to Texas, it’s all breathtaking and glorious.

IMG_1478   IMG_1484IMG_1485   IMG_1499

Driving is a sequence of awesome views, with something new just around the next bend.

IMG_1551   IMG_1569IMG_1576   IMG_1609

For all those of you Loosey-Goosey folks who left early….. Neener-Neener! (grin!)

The nights of the 13th thru the 16th are predicted to have very active aurora displays, the moon is late in the last quarter (dark skies!), and glory be, the weather is predicted to be mostly clear all the way through. I’m hoping to get my socks knocked off by the “real” Alaskan aurora experience! To maximize my chances, I’m heading up to the Top of the World Highway for those nights. From there, I’ll start the long journey back. I plan to travel the Cassiar highway, and hope to be crossing the border into Washington State around the 25th. Shortly after that, I hope to be able to post some really great aurora pix… wish me clear skies!

2 comments:

  1. Yes, yes, of course there were mushrooms, but I ate them too fast to get a picture! LOL No way am I going thru Tok without indulging

    ReplyDelete

Hi Folks

Internet access is spotty at best, so please be patient if you email me, or want a response. Thanks!