Friday, June 30, 2017

Across the Middle

I wanted to drive across Alaska on the Denali highway, and so did Dennis and Carol, so we rolled out of Seward and headed back up the Glenn highway. Our goal is the road that used to be the only way to get to Denali National Park. It’s still there, and is mostly unpaved, but now everybody travels the Parks highway to Denali. Hey, ’the road less travelled’, sounds good!

map

We rolled up to Anchorage, and Dennis got me onto the base. We stayed at the Fam-Camp one night, and did all that not-so-interesting stuff, like laundry, groceries, fuel, etc. The next day we headed towards Paxson, where the old Denali highway starts. It’s a nice day, and I got some good photos.

IMG_9773   IMG_9780IMG_9784   IMG_9785

Along the Glenn hwy, you get some great views of the Matanuska glacier. it’s the only glacier with direct access by road, at least , that’s what it says in this here tourist brochure.

IMG_9803   IMG_9811IMG_9812

OK, I’m game! I find the access road, and am confronted by this set of signs.

Clipboard02   Clipboard01

Well, what the Hell. I start down the road anyway, since it says it’s “open”. By the time I get to the river, I decide maybe I shouldn’t be driving my house into such forbidding territory and bail on the whole Idea. Maybe I'll come back and take the bike down that road another time,

IMG_9805   IMG_9808IMG_9809

Turns out that the confusing barrage of signs is all part of a neighborly (or un-neighborly) dispute about road rights, you can read about it here. I didn’t see any naked people.

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/mat-su/2017/05/14/a-legal-battle-between-neighbors-leads-to-confusion-along-road-to-popular-alaska-glacier/

Moving right along, I catch up with D&C at a gravel pit just below Paxson. It’s a good place to boondock, but the mosquitos are thick! We stay there anyway, and have fun playing zap the skeeters with some electric bug zapper doo-dads. Rainbow the cat is not amused.

IMG_9819   IMG_9828IMG_9829   IMG_9837

The Denali highway is paved for the first 20 miles or so, and we climb up above 3000 feet and are suddenly above the tree line. The views are amazing!

IMG_9851   IMG_9852IMG_9855   IMG_9856IMG_9858

The road turns to gravel, and we start looking for a really scenic place to stop. I think we found one! The day starts off sunny and warm,and we sit out and look for animals and enjoy the serenity. Then storm clouds roll in, and it starts raining late in the day.

IMG_9863   IMG_9866 IMG_9868   IMG_4687IMG_4706   IMG_9878

The rest of the trip is cold, wet, and socked in. The drive is challenging, and there’s not much to see. I’m glad to get back to pavement again!

IMG_9882   IMG_9885IMG_9906   IMG_9911

I’ll try to come back again late in the fall to see the tundra turn all the awesome fall colors, but for now, let’s roll on to the next place. 

2 comments:

  1. Glyn and I took that road once in our van and when we opened the back doors a ton of dust fell out on our feet and for years after that every time we open the door dust still fell out that nice Glacier silt. Enjoy it is pretty and quiet except during hunting season

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glenn will leave on Saturday for Anchorage Healy Fairbanks and then back to Anchorage 10-day whirlwind trip

    ReplyDelete

Hi Folks

Internet access is spotty at best, so please be patient if you email me, or want a response. Thanks!